Friday, January 24, 2014

Only the Beginning




First week of classes have flown by and the weather is finally getting warm.  Unlike in the US, during mid-day it is mid 60's with the sun heating you up.  On Wednesday, we went on a bus tour of Seville and the weather was perfect for sitting on the second level of the double-decker bus.  The picture above is one of the many pictures that I was able to get that day.  It was a very informative bus ride in which we learned a lot about the culture and history of the buildings.  While on the bus, all of us definitely felt like true tourists, all we needed were fanny packs and maps out at hand.  
    Yesteryday, consisted of class and then practice later on in the day.  Practice was again on the dirt, which I am definitely getting more used to.  All the guys on the team are very nice and helpful to Chris and I, which makes everything a lot easier.  Classes have been pretty typical nothing special, very informative with teachers that love what they are doing.  Most of the teachers at the school also have other jobs, which is really impressive the amount of time they are able to put into both of their jobs.  I am still getting used to the time change, at nights it is very hard to go to sleep so reading books has been my go to thing at night.  It also doesn't help that I take a couple of siestas throughout the day especially on my Mondays and Wednesdays.  


The Plaza de España is the picture above.  This beautiful semi-circle building is one of the most popular areas to visit in Seville and no wonder why.  It was absolutely stunning the attention to detail, mosaics lay along the ground, bridges, and building.  Every state in Spain is displayed as a Mosaic along the boarder of the plaza.  Pictures can never do anything justice and the same goes for this building.


This park is directly behind where I am standing in the picture of the Plaza.  Orange trees grow all around the city and in this park there were tons scattered along with other varieties of trees and vegetation. It was a great time to explore the city and the history that is scattered throughout.  The group met up with each other that night and we went to this Italian restaurant, which was very hidden and low key, as usual those places are always the best.  This was yet another restaurant that didn't disappoint, it is hard to beat fresh Italian food. One thing I have noticed throughout the city is the amount of people that stay out late.  The other night my roommate and I were at this outside bar and as we looked around us there was only older people sipping on some whisky, smoking cigars, and having coffee.  We looked at our clocks and noticed that it was 2am and these people were not even close to finishing their night.  The priority of socializing and spending time with friends is definitely on the top of the list here and I love it.  I think that is the purpose of bars and going out, it is to socialize and enjoy sipping on some beer or wine rather than trying to drink so much alcohol that you don't even remember your night.  I never thought the city was for me, especially growing up in a small town I always thought a large amount of people were so overwhelming.  Each day that I spend living here in Seville, the more I am enjoying the atmosphere that goes along with it.  One week down, many more to go but excitement starts this weekend when we get to go to Granada, a state to the east of Seville, to go snowboarding.  I will be sure to go into detail about the trip.  Until next time, ¡Adios!  


No comments:

Post a Comment