Thursday, January 16, 2014

First Day in Paradise

 

My day started out by waking up to my señora yelling from downstairs, "Alejandro! Vete aquí!"(come here) around 9:30, which is really 3:30am at home.  The breakfast conisted of bread topped with either butter or jelly.  A delicious cup of coffee was also brewed just the way I like it, half milk, half coffee, and lots of sugar.  After breakfast we walked the city to meet with the rest of the students in the program.  They gave us a little pre-orientation information regarding future trips and oh yeah classes.  After that, we had the freedom to walk around.  My roommate and I came back to the room, which is the picture above, to change into clothes to go for a run.  Luckily this is only my room, my roommate, Chris, lives in a room next door to mine and we share a bathroom at the end of the hall.  Pretty much exactly like a suite style dorm room in the States.  The only advantage is we have a porch off of our little hallway that provides a somewhat nice view of some local churches, which is nice to look at as you're drying your clothes.  Chris and I got dressed and went for a run along the banks of the Canal de Alfonso.  This beautiful canal flows a couple streets away from the house.  We ran down about 15 minutes one way trying to find the Real Betis stadium, which is a tiny little stadim that is home to the locals around this area.  This coming weekend they play the best team in the world, Real Madrid, in which I am fortunate enough to go see for only 30 Euros.  I can't explain how excited I am to go see Cristiano Ronaldo, Gareth Bale, Iker Casillas, Xabi Alonso, Sergio Ramos, Pepe, and all the other great soccer players.  I do have to keep in mind that I am a Real Betis fan now... kinda.  The weather here is around the same as in Florida, cold in the mornings and nights (cold meaning low 50's) and warm during the middle of the day.  Walking the streets of Seville you truely appreciate the architechure and time spent into each building especially the churches.  Every one of them are beautiful, full of color and sculpures.  Don't worry there will be a picture of some as the blog continues.  


Seville really comes alive around 7-8pm.  Everyone gets off work, grabs something to eat and then starts heading to the bars.  I got my first taste of the bar scene tonight, which is much different to the States.  In Spain, one or two beers is enough for the night.  As you walk around the city at night you notice double the number of restaurants and bars that are open.  It is truely amazing how the city comes alive.  During the day it seems as though most of the people are either shopping or smoking outside, but at night the city illuminates.  I was able to get my first glimpse of the spanish culture by attending a Flameco Show at Casa De La Guitarra.  The guitarist, singer, and dancer were absolutely amazing, they are shown above.  The music consisted of a type of salsa but a bit quicker tempo.  The dancing was comparable to tap dancing in the States.  Overall, great day in Seville can't wait to keep exploring the beautiful city and more importantly soccer starts Tuesday, so the real experience starts then.  ¡Hasta luego!

No comments:

Post a Comment