Sunday, March 30, 2014

The forgotten Triana Game


Well it looks like the semester is coming to an end, with only four weeks left.  Unfortunately, those weeks are filled with papers, exams, and projects but luckily, I have planned for them.  As many of you know, I spent my 21st birthday in Spain this week and what a memorable night.  Although it was nothing crazy, it was a birthday that I will never forget.  No traveling this weekend, but it was nice to spend the days in Seville, trying some different restaurants and enjoying the sun until the rain comes this week.  Two weeks ago, I had my first game but completely forgot to mention it on my blog.  This was not intentional because the game was amazing and a great experience for me.  I played right mid for the first half and then dropped into right back for the second half.  The way this team plays, is right down the middle, not much use of the wings, which is why for the first 10 minutes I found myself just running back and forth along the touchline.  Eventually, I made my way inside to try and find the ball a little bit more, which ended up working out well.  Some good plays here and there, but one run I was able to pick up the ball along the touchline.  Make a couple passes and find myself near the goal with some space.  I decided to slip the ball along the ground to one of my teammates for an assist.  It was great, my first game in Spain, and I get an assist in a position I do not play very often.  This gave me a lot of confidence for the remaing game.  I found myself having the ball a lot more when playing right back.  I tried being an attacking option but the game didn't really allow for me to go forward too often.  Nonetheless, I had some nice passes, couple moves, and the game finished up 3-3.  The level was not something completely shocking to me.  Don't get me wrong, they move the ball well and all of them have great touches but I found myself fitting in well with the rest of the team.  Perhaps a criticism I have of the team and the style that they play, is the amount of time they hold onto the ball before passing.  I understand that element of the game in Spain is huge but it seems that they take too many touches when the ball could have been off their foot a couple touches earlier.  Although I don't favor that style, I am trying to change my style to match that a little bit more.  I think coming back to the US, it will help my game a lot more to hold on the ball a little longer and maybe make more runs in attacking positions.  I am excited to play my second game and go home and try and implement what I have learned and what I am trying to change back home with my club over the summer.  I think I have improved a lot while being here as well as learned that the semi-professional level is no too far off where I stand today.  Sorry about not letting you all know about the game earlier but now that you know you can stop worrying about how I did.  Until next week, ¡Adios!

No comments:

Post a Comment