Monday, March 24, 2014

Marruecos, First Glimpse of Africa


Due to the strong caffeinated coffee, the three hour bus ride to the ferry was spent just awaiting the upcoming trip.  Trying to wrap my mind around what I was going to experience this weekend.  Looking back on the experience I just had, nothing could have gotten me prepared to be shocked like that.  Our ferry across the Straight of Gibraltar was short but spent in good company.  When we arrived in Tanger, it was off to the races to start exploring.  Our first stop was the city of Assilah, which is located right along the Atlantic Ocean.  Classic white and blue architecture filled each street along with very colorful and inspiring paintings along the walls.  While we were getting a tour around the city, the call for prayer came on the loud speakers spread throughout the city.  It was a memorable experience and although it woke me up at 5am the following morning it was rather peaceful.  There were many vendors and shops, least that is what I thought before we made our way to Tetouan on Saturday.  We stood out as tourists and the vendors would seek us out no matter how many times we refused.  Tourism is their source of income and although you might get some different looks, they appreciate you being there.  Moroccans are also very impressive in their vast understanding of languages.  Most Moroccans can speak English, Spanish, Arabic, and French.  Bartering would have been very difficult if they could not speak English.  Friday night we ate at the hotel because you were not allowed to go out in Morocco.  It is a completely different culture than that of Spain.  When you look out into the city at night, there was very few people around in the streets,  Saturday was perhaps the biggest shock for me and one that I will never forget.


  We left the hotel early in order to get a full day in the two cities of Chefchaouen and Tetouan.  Chefchaouen was a city that was filled with street vendors and some restaurants.  Again, the typical architecture with the blue and white was beautiful.  From the outside, nothing is given away in terms of whether the family is rich or poor.  The concentration is all on the inside, which is much different than life in the US.  Even in the hottest of days in Africa the color and shade provided by these houses make withstanding the heat rather easy.  My first experience bartering was successful and I was able to drop the price of this blanket down about 100 durum (currency in Morocco).  It is funny to think about whether you could have gone any cheaper and also the fact of how much it really cost them to acquire or make those goods.  A stream went through apart of the city in which to this day, women still go down to this stream to wash clothes.  It was quite a sight to see, you realize even in the 21st century people are still washing their clothes in a stream rather than the newest hightech dryer and washer from LG.  People are content with what they have and don't need excess to make their lives happier.  This was perhaps the most shocking after visiting Tetouan.


If I was dropped off in the middle of this city, I would never ever be able to find my way out.  There is no systematic layout of this city and what might seem like a way out, is just another conitnuous street of vendors.  As we were walking through the city, with our two body guards there was a funeral procession.  Four men holding a wooden casket followed by about 25 other men just walking down this crowded street with no warning or anything.  It is hard to explain how this single city affected me.  There were points where I was scared, excited, and amazed all at the same time.  This crazy way of life seemed so hectic and out of control from my perspective but to them, it was just another weekend.  People were satisfied with selling used shoes and maybe only getting the chance to sell about two a day.  Just when I think I've seen it all, I experience another culture and continent.  Lunch was spent at this amazing restaurant that served us authentic Moroccan soups, teas, and perhaps the best couscous I have ever had.  After exploring a little more of the city, we eventually made it out without any losses or anything.  We returned to Tanger where our hotel was and spent the night recalling what we just experienced.  Luckily, our recollection was over another amazing authentic Moroccan dinner.  


Sunday was nice and relaxful, seeing a different side of Morocco.  We stayed in the city of Tanger, where our hotel is, and made a couple touristy stops along the way to the Caves of Hercules.  The camel rides were a nice touch and I wish we could have taken them by ourselves for a little bit.  It makes for a nice humpday post on facebook and of course the profile picture.  We then visited the Caves of Hercules, which were very interesting because there were more vendors inside the caves.  A lot of the cave was man-made but the typical postcard of Africa is the picture I got below.  This trip to Morocco just made me want to experience more of the world.  There are places in the world that enjoy and live life differently than what I am used to and know of.  What I learn from these places simply makes me more aware of the world and the people inside it, but more importantly how it affects my life when I get back home.  





No comments:

Post a Comment